I felt this would be the perfect time to share my 3 steps to land your dream client. I talk about dream clients all the time and I have found that entrepreneurs truly don’t know how to attract them.
First, let’s define what a dream client is. A dream client is the person who needs your services the most. They’re the ones who have been struggling the longest with their problem and are finally ready to get help solving it. Which also means they’re willing to pay for it 😉
Now that we’ve got that covered, let’s dive in…
Step 1: Who is your dream client?
If you’re not attracting clients consistently, it’s likely because you’re not clear on who your dream client actually is.. That person is out there…only you can’t find them because you’re too busy trying to talk to everyone.
I know it feels scary to niche down because you don’t want to turn off potential clients. What you don’t realize is that you’re turning them off right now because you’re not actually speaking to them. People can sense when they’re not the only target audience. They sense it in the words you use and the scenarios you describe in your marketing. Some things may ring true for their situation, but other things don’t. Which means they don’t fully trust that you’re the person who can solve their problem. If there’s any hesitation on their end, they won’t buy from you.
Maybe you know who you want to serve, but you don’t know how to say “no” to clients you shouldn’t be working with. After all, money is money, right?
In the beginning of your business, serving clients wasn’t a problem because you needed the experience. But then there comes a point where clients who aren’t a good fit eat up your time, your profits, and more importantly – your confidence. Most female entrepreneurs I have worked with fear signing clients because they question whether they can deliver results. This stems from watching clients who aren’t a good fit not get the results they desired. The good news? You can change it now by getting clear on who your dream client is.
I’ve created the following GPS system to help you identify who your dream clients are:
1. God-Given Talents:
- What are you really good at? What do others compliment you on?
- Who needs this talent the most? (not everyone will)
- Who’s saying they need your talent? (do some research)
2. Past Clients:
- Who have you enjoyed working with?
- Who got the best results and why?
- Who was all in on doing the work?
- What type of personality did they have?
- What stage of business or life are your dream clients in?
- How long have they been struggling with their problem?
- Who has the most urgent need for your services?
- Most objections stem from the right person/wrong stage (I can’t afford it, can do it myself, etc). For example: OBMs don’t target brand-new business owners without a team. Sales coaches don’t target 6 or 7 figure business owners who close the majority of their calls.
Step 2: Where is your dream client?
Once you know who your dream client is…the next step is finding them! Many women are trapped in the “I need to be everywhere” phase. Deep down you may know that it’s not effective to be everywhere but you’re scared that you’ll miss out on a potential client if you’re not showing up in a million places. The pressure to show up everywhere makes you stressed and anxious – and you’re constantly wondering whether what you’re doing is working.
I have found it far more effective to pick one primary “hub” where you’ll show up and build connections with potential clients. Here are a few tips on how to determine where to show up and find your people:
- Ask past or current clients where they spend the majority of their time online. There are no shortcuts to market research. It’s one of the most effective ways to zero in on the right channel for you.
- Do your research. Pew Research Center and Sprout Social put out social media demographics for every major platform. Take a look at their findings and make an educated decision for your business.
- Check your competitors. Yes, this is one of the ONLY times I’ll tell you to look at what your competitors are doing. If they target the same audience and they’re finding success on a particular platform, odds are good you will too.
- Look at your website traffic. What channels is your traffic coming from? That may tell you a lot about where your people are hanging out.
- Talk to referral partners who target the same audience as you. Where are they finding new leads? If they’re a solid referral partner (meaning they offer a complimentary service to yours), they’ll be more than happy to give you feedback.
Step 3: What’s your messaging?
What messages will attract dream clients so they come to you vs. you hustling to find them?
You can know exactly who your ideal client is and where to find them, but if your messaging doesn’t capture their attention, they won’t give you a second look. You want to craft messages that communicate the value you offer so you can attract people who are serious about investing in solving their problem. Your messaging should speak directly to your ideal client & makes them feel like you’re in their head (because you are!)
Here are a few tips on how to craft a message to attract your dream clients:
1. Your dream client needs to hear the following:
- That you understand them
- How you can help them
- Your success in helping others like them
- That you believe in them
2.Anatomy of a post that converts…
- Spell out challenges (but don’t rub their nose in it)
- Talk about the solution and what the future looks like for your client once his or her problem is solved
- Identify the gap keeping them from solving their problem. Why haven’t they solved it yet?
- Spell out the top 2-3 objections your dream clients may have to your solution. These usually involve money, time, and doubt about whether they’ll get results. Address those head-on instead of waiting for the sales call.
- Spell out a clear call-to-action. Tell your audience what ONE next step you want them to take after reading your post, watching your live, etc.
3. Types of content that converts well:
- Live video
- Long form text posts
- Client stories
- “Truth Bombs”
Want help figuring out who your dream clients are and how to attract them? Book a free 5-Figure Accelerator call and let’s uncover who your people are so you can reach your first $5K or $10K month!